Last Updated on June 3, 2023
A revision to AmigaOS 3.2 has been released by Hyperion Entertainment CVBA. AmigaOS3.2.2 is described as “the most capable and most stable operating system ever for 68K based Amigas.”
If you own a license for AmigaOS 3.2, then you’re eligible for this update.
What is AmigaOS 3.2?
In case you were unaware (many are), Hyperion owns the “exclusive, perpetual, worldwide right to AmigaOS 3.1” and subsequent editions. This essentially means that its developers can create a new AmigaOS (such as AmigaOS 4 and beyond) and updates to AmigaOS 3.
Including bug fixes and new features for classic Amigas, the highlights of AmigaOS 3.2.2 are:
- TextEdit has seen several improvements to its extension interface, and has gained an “About” menu item;
- “Showconfig” now shows 68060 revision;
- “IconEdit” now notifies the user if someone else modifies the icon file that is being edited. And pressing the help key brings up help. The whole color handling of colorful icons has been improved so icons can no longer degrade. Users may end up in a situation wherein it will look worse than on a perfect display, but it will not degrade the icon. As such the dreaded “downgrade” dialog doesn’t happen anymore, but in some cases “IconEdit” will open on a separate screen;
- “Kickstart” can now boot with earlier Workbench and icon library versions if they are present on the boot volume. This allows for installation of the ROM whilst retaining the ability to boot any AmigaOS version from 3.1 to 3.9, before installation of AmigaOS 3.2 on a volume;
- The sketchboard.gadget has seen some speed improvements, that should be noticeable when using IconEdit;
- The listbrowser.gadget has had a complete overhaul, making the file much smaller, and a bit faster;
- The layout.gadget has had a complete overhaul;
- The window.class has had a complete overhaul;
- The RAM disk has had a complete overhaul so it is much less likely to cause issues;
- Improved “Locale “support
- Updated version of boards.library
While intended for hardware Amigas, AmigaOS 3.2.2 can also be run in an emulator such as WinUEA.
Learn more on the Hyperion website, where you can also download AmigaOS 3.2.2.
Gaming since 1984, retro gaming since 2004. Contributes to Linux Format magazine and MakeUseOf.com.