Classic 2D fighting game Breakers and its sequel Breakers Revenge are heading to consoles in Breakers Collection, from Strictly Limited Games.
Available for Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4 (PS4) and PlayStation 5 (PS5), as a boxed Limited Edition and Collector’s, the collections include exclusive new features such as an online versus mode and a training mode.
About the Breakers Collection
The Breakers Collection includes two 1990s 2D fighting games. Breakers was released by Visco on December 17, 1996, for the Neo Geo and arcades in Japan. Meanwhile, its sequel, Breakers Revenge, followed on July 3, 1998.
Rarely seen outside of Japan, retro gamers can expect the same special action-based fights similar to other fighting games of that era. Featuring distinctive fighters with unique super moves activated when the power gauge is full, both games feature genre-typical moves such as acrobatic combos and blocks.
Remastered by QUByte, Breakers and Breakers Revenge is Strictly Limited Games’ first 2D fighting game release, and features:
- A hidden gem from the golden age of arcade fighting games, remastered for modern consoles
- Makes full use of the Neo Geo’s power to deliver beautiful pixel graphics
- Sophisticated gameplay with fast and sharp controls that rewards tactics over button mashing
- Up 10 characters to choose from, each with their unique fighting style (8 in Breakers and 10 in Revenge)
- Compete for life or death in the legendary FIST tournament in Arcade Mode
- Duke it out with your friends to assert dominance on your couch in classic Versus Mode
- Brand-new Training Mode, being a highly requested feature after the beta (Revenge only)
- Impeccable online multiplayer featuring rollback net code with casual and ranked modes, tested by the community during open beta (Revenge only)
- Global online ranking boards (Revenge only)
- Art Gallery Mode
Strictly Limited Editions of the Breakers Collection
Strictly Limited Games is issuing the Breakers Collection limited edition, available for pre-order exclusively via the Strictly Limited Games online shop. 4,000 standard limited edition copies are available for Nintendo Switch, and 1,500 each for PS4 and PS5, retailing at 29.99€ / $34.99, including a colorful game manual.
Meanwhile, the Collector’s Edition is limited to 3,000 copies for Nintendo Switch and 1,000 each for PS4 and PS5, and costs 59.99€ / $65.99. This version features the following additional collectibles:
- Collector’s edition box
- Colourful Game Manual
- Tia Langray Headband with Breakers Collection logo
- Two sweat wristbands with Breakers Collection logo
- Soundtrack with songs from both Breakers and Breakers Revenge
- Acrylic diorama featuring Tia Langray and Sho Kamui
- Arcade flyer for Crystal Legacy (original Breakers prototype), A5 size
- Double-sided poster with main visuals, A2 size
- Breakers collection die cut logo sticker
- 10 Character Cards, A7 size
- Lenticular card
Pre-orders start on Sunday, May 22nd, at 12 AM CET (midnight), only at Strictly Limited Games.
Gaming since 1984, retro gaming since 2004. Contributes to Linux Format magazine and MakeUseOf.com.