Last Updated on October 4, 2023
A new Nintendo Switch Online update has rolled out some changes to GoldenEye 007 in the N64 library. These are quality of life, cosmetic fixes that improve visuals, but not much else.
Twitter (X) user @Graslu00 noted several changes and observations about what still needs work:
- Texture tiling on Dam fixed
- Dark textures on Bunker fixed
- The audio quality is… worse?
- Smoke is still broken on some maps
- Caverns still running at a locked 15FPS
- Exploded objects are still too dark
- Runway plane is still too dark
- Street buildings still wrongly affected by fog
- Watch menu weapon textures still broken
- Muzzle flash still too dim on AR33 and RCP-90
No doubt those problems will be fixed eventually, but GoldeneEye 007 has been out on Switch for a few months now.
Other Nintendo Switch Online revisions have been spotted:
- The N64 NSO emulator has been updated with new functions for Lua hacks.
- Pokémon Stadium 2 is the first game to use the RomPatch Lua function, which is likely used to make graphical changes.
- Controller Pak emulation is still present but unused.
- Transfer Pak emulation is still the same as before, and is still unusable.
- Real Time Clock emulation for Animal Crossing is still there.
- Pokémon Stadium 1 has also been updated with changes to graphics rendering and soft reset functionality.
No doubt more changes will be uncovered in due course. To see these revisions, ensure you have a Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack subscription, and that your Nintendo Switch is updated.
Gaming since 1984, retro gaming since 2004. Contributes to Linux Format magazine and MakeUseOf.com.