Last Updated on July 20, 2023
MicroProse has announced the full release of Tiny Football, a one-button-kick football game that is purely skill-based. The game is now complete and ready for players to enjoy, and it includes a ton of new features and updates.
Evocative of classic pixelly football sims like Sensible Soccer and Sensible World of Soccer, this release has added resonance for any fan of arcade football games from the 8-bit era. MicroProse was the first publisher (thanks to then-little known developers Sensible Software) to release a top-down arcade football game. MicroProse Soccer was released back in 1988 and was easily the best arcade footy game on the Commodore 64.
This makes Tiny Football release particularly intrigueing; a spiritual successor to a 35 year old video game!
Here are just a few of the highlights we’re told that you can expect in Tiny Football:
- Enhanced AI: The AI is now more challenging, less predictable, and more organized in defense. They’ll also make attacking runs, which adds a new layer of strategy to the game.
- New countries in season mode: Germany, France, Italy, Spain, and Scotland have been added to season mode. Now you can take your team to the top of the table in even more countries!
- The market is here: You can now buy and sell players, and players will age and retire over time. This adds a new layer of depth to the game, as you’ll need to manage your squad carefully in order to stay competitive.
- Major UI improvement: The user interface has been completely overhauled, making it easier to navigate the game and track your progress.
- Addition of female players and Women’s World Cup: Female players and the Women’s World Cup have been added to the game, celebrating the growing popularity of women’s football.
- New achievements and more! A bunch of new achievements have also been added to the game, giving you even more to strive for.
If you find the endless button presses for basic ball contact and tricks in games like FIFA and PES to be somewhat tiresome, Tiny Football takes arcade soccer back to basics, with a single-button-kick experience. I’ve never understood why anything more was ever needed, but there you go.
Download Tiny Football today and experience the pure skill, pure action of one-button-kick football! You’ll find it available to buy on Steam right now.
Gaming since 1984, retro gaming since 2004. Contributes to Linux Format magazine and MakeUseOf.com.