Last Updated on June 3, 2023
This is pretty amazing: a Nintendo GameCube Bluetooth mod that replaces the original controller connector board. It’s a solder-free solution to adding any Bluetooth controller to the GameCube and it’s causing a bit of excitement…
Co-developed by LaserBear Industries and BlueRetro creator DarthCloud, the mod adapts BlueRetro for GameCube in such a way that anyone can fit it.
What is BlueRetro?
Developed to enable Bluetooth controllers to run on retro game consoles, BlueRetro supports “Wii, Switch, PS3, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S & generic HID Bluetooth (BR/EDR & LE) devices” and can be added to a number of classic systems.
But not like this.
The GameCube Bluetooth mod is a physical PCB that you swap with the existing controller port array. Once installed, it looks the same, aside from some cool LEDs. There is no cutting, no soldering, and all you need is a screwdriver to open your Nintendo GameCube, swap the boards over, and then screw it closed again.
Features of the BlueRetro GameCube Bluetooth mod
Here’s the full set of features you can expect from BlueRetro’s GameCube mod:
- Up to 4 Bluetooth controllers can be paired at once.
- Wired controllers are still usable.
- When a wired controller is connected it the Bluetooth controllers will move to open ports automatically.
- LEDs in each port to indicate where a controller is connected
- Remote power control of the console via macro controls
- Remote in game reset via macro controls
- Easy firmware update tool that only requires a Bluetooth enabled device like a phone or computer
- Multi-function reset button
- Configurable button mapping using the web interface on a computer or phone
- Replaceable socket for CR2032 (not included due to shipping limitations)
- Simple installation requiring only screwdrivers (Gamebit 4.5mm and Philips #2)
Compatible controllers for the device have been listed as:
- Playstation 3/4/5
- Xbox One/SeriesX/S
- Switch Controllers
- 8BitDo (xinput mode)
- Wii Controllers
- Generic HID Bluetooth controllers
- Bluetooth Keyboards (emulate the ASCII Keyboard Controller)
And of course, you can still plug in a traditional wired GameCube controller
Where can you buy the BlueRetro GameCube Bluetooth mod?
Pre-orders for the BlueRetro GameCube Bluetooth mod are already open and will close next week on September 10th. Fabrication is based on device orders, with an early- to mid-November shipping date. Head to 8bitmods (or if you’re in the USA, the LaserBear website) to place your order and check out the accompanying video which demonstrates a prototype of the BlueRetro GameCube Bluetooth mod.
Gaming since 1984, retro gaming since 2004. Contributes to Linux Format magazine and MakeUseOf.com.