The Pixel Addict Christmas 2023 edition is now in shops, boasting “stories of computer Christmases past!”
Published by the same people behind Amiga Addict (which also has a Christmas 2023 edition) and the recent Amstrad Addict special, Pixel Addict is a digital culture magazine that regularly looks at forgotten systems, iconic games, niche hardware, and more.
Christmas in the 1980s and 1990s wasn’t allowed to happen if you hadn’t trawled the pages of the Argos catalogue and made a list (or circled!) all the toys you
wanted would be happy to have. That seems to be one of the starting points for the new edition of Pixel Addict:
From memories of toys and games in the Argos catalogue to seasonal screensavers, we celebrate classic tinsel-adorned computer magazines and the most memorable 80s and 90s video games associated with the season of goodwill. With special interview and contributing guests including François Classens and Bertrand Dupuy (Rick Dangerous), Wil Overton (Super Play/N64 Magazine), Adam Peters (Amstrad Action magazine) and even Argos catalogue designer Eve Welch! This is a stocking filler not to be missed!
Also in Pixel Addict’s Christmas 2023 edition
Aside from the main features, the magazine also includes:
- Win a copy of Lewis Packwood’s book, Curious Video Game Machines: A Compendium Of Rare And Unusual Consoles, Computers And Coin-Ops.
- Vintage electronic tabletop and handheld gaming devices.
- Iconic games including the Half-Life series and Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee.
- This year’s blockbuster film success, The Super Mario Bros. Movie.
- Rare computing hardware with the Matra Alice 90.
- We chat to Atari Jaguar games developers Songbird Productions to find out more about their latest Jag releases.
- Desirable Christmas toys of the 80s, including Thundercats.
- NES assembly programming secrets and tips.
- Fidelity Chessmaster 2100.
- Memories of the classic PC scene in Romania during the early 2000s.
- A PlayStation 3 revival story, including the excellent Gran Turismo game.
- Family history and genealogy software. How technology aids remembering the past.
- PLAY Expo Blackpool 2023 show report.
- Donkey Kong Country on the Super Nintendo – is it as good as everyone really thinks? Simon Butler shares his thoughts.
- Regulars such as News, Homebrew Heroes and readers’ points of view.
At the time of writing, Pixel Addict 16 should be available to buy at your local WHSmith. If you want to buy online or subscribe, head to the Pixel Addict website.
Gaming since 1984, retro gaming since 2004. Contributes to Linux Format magazine and MakeUseOf.com.