Last Updated on May 13, 2021
Retro style games have grown in popularity almost alongside the resurgence of genuine retro titles. One recent release to consider is Huntdown, a run-and-gun from Easy Trigger Games. Already available on PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, GOG.com, more recently it has been issues on Steam and Epic digital distribution services.
Huntdown features hand-painted 16-bit pixel art graphics and hand-drawn animations with 60FPS gameplay. With single and two-player options, the game lets you hunt solo or play in co-op mode in the 80s inspired neon soaked cityscapes across 20 levels. Targets include feral punks hockey hooligans, crime bosses, bounties, and weapons. Other features in the game include:
- Three legendary bounty hunters to play as:
- Anna Conda: Ex-commando and firearms expert. A loose-cannon trained to assassinate without question or mercy.
- John Sawyer: Special forces cop who left the law behind. This scarred veteran has lost so many limbs in combat he’s half robot.
- Mow Man: Modified recon droid, stolen and empowered with banned software. Trades bodies for cold hard cash.
- Unique gangs to target:
- Hoodlum Dolls: Violent feral punks winning the gang war with the toothless authorities
- Misconducts: Organised hockey hooligans, experts in robbery and extortion with a penchant for explosives
- The Heatseekers: Murderous motorcycle club. These rockabilly villains style themselves on the centurions of Ancient Rome
- 1 Suspects: Masters of discipline and organised crime. Martial arts experts, these slick psychopaths control the night through their casinos and nightclubs
- Choose your weapon: Confiscate machine guns, laser weapons, katanas, grenades and more, and turn them on their owners. Stab, shoot and explode your way through swathes of gangs and bosses and collect your bounty.
Inspired by the action movies and pop culture of the 80s with a gritty, violent twist, Huntdown is an old school arcade side scroller for the modern bounty hunter. The slick platformer features hand painted 16-bit pixel art graphics and hand-drawn animations, combined with fluid action-packed 60-FPS gameplay and an epic 80s soundtrack pumping dark wave, industrial synth, hard rock and electro through 20 unique levels.
In the mayhem-filled streets of the future where criminal gangs rule and cops fear to tread, only the bounty hunters can free the city from the corrupt fist of felony. Lay waste to the criminal underworld and make a killing in this hard boiled action comedy arcade shooter.
Tommy Gustafsson, Co-founder, Designer & Director, Easy Trigger Games explains the idea: “Huntdown is a twisted love letter to over the top, old school 80s action movies and arcade games. Many associate the era with optimism and sunburned characters in white tuxes driving a Ferrari Testarossa against a warm sunset. Not Huntdown. We wanted to capture the grit of the era, leaning more on the likes of Bladerunner, RoboCop and Terminator.”
As well as hitting Steam and Epic, Huntdown is also available on Nintendo Switch, PS4, Xbox One, and GOG.com. Head to the Huntdown website to grab your copy.
Gaming since 1984, retro gaming since 2004. Contributes to Linux Format magazine and MakeUseOf.com.