A new Kickstarter aims to make a Shadow Gangs Dreamcast release a reality. Current gen scrolling arcade ninja action title Shadow Gangs boasts a classic aesthetic, while remaining complete modern with 60FPS visuals, among other things.
In an advanced state of development for Dreamcast, Shadow Gangs‘ developer ShadowTeam expects the completed project to have a physical release and launch by the expected due date of April 2023. The only problem is that at the time of writing, only £15,445 has been pledged of the £139,999 goal, with 24 days remaining.
The accompanying video demonstrates the game, comparing the Xbox Series X and Dreamcast versions.
The intended specification for the Dreamcast project are as follows:
- 640*480 native resolution (No scaling).
- 60 FPS with perfect smooth scrolling and animations.
- Up to 6 parallax scrolling layers.
- Lots of on screen action.
- CDDA music.
- VMU for save and load.
- Rumble option when using a Rumble Pack.
- Configurable controls.
- HD sprites and background art.
- 15 levels, and a special bonus stage.
- 6 bosses.
- 10 different melee attacks, 2 hero forms (fighter and ninja).
- More than 30 different enemies.
- Mines and Ninja magic special attacks.
- 11 different music tracks.
- 3 difficulty levels.
Kickstarter pledges for the Shadow Gangs Dreamcast project include a basic £10 support option, Dreamcast Digital Edition for £25, physical editions for £45 and above, and even a Dreamcast and current gen version for £40. Many more backing options are available.
You can download a demo version of Shadow Gangs for SEGA Dreamcast, suitable for emulators or burning to CDR and running on an original device.
Gaming since 1984, retro gaming since 2004. Contributes to Linux Format magazine and MakeUseOf.com.