Following announcement of its release in Europe, ININ Games has confirmed that the Taito Egret II Mini will commence shipping from June 3rd, 2022.
The console – a miniature version of the 1986 Taito Egret II arcade system – is being released in three limited editions for western audiences, with exclusive blue color scheme, varying physical collectibles, and several pre-installed games.
With 40 pre-installed games and space for more on an SD card, the Taito Egret II Mini features a range of superb classic arcade games, from Bubble Bobble to Rastan Saga, via modern classics and unreleased games. With in-game save states, adjustable lives, and rapid-fire, the retro collection in the Taito Egret II Mini can be enjoyed in a whole new way.
You might even complete a few of them this time around!
This table top miniature console features a rotating 5-inch monitor (4:3 ratio) enabling you to play the arcade classics with the correct display orientation. While the little gaming system features integrated stereo speakers, you’ll probably find the HDMI output to TV gives you the better audio reproduction.
But which of the three models will you order?
EGRET II mini – Limited Blue Edition Bundle: This edition will include the EGRET II mini – Limited Blue Edition, a special cup & cup holder and a set of mini instruction cards for the true retro arcade feeling. This bundle does not include any of the three optional controllers, which can be purchased separately.
EGRET II mini – Arcade Cabinet Blue Edition: This very special package will include the EGRET II mini – Limited Blue Edition, plus the Paddle and Trackball Expansion Set that comes with a controller and 10 additional games on SD card, including Arkanoid Returns and PuchiCarat. On top of that, retro fans get a set of mini instruction cards, a special TAITO/ZUNTATA anniversary soundtrack and a strategy book.
EGRET II mini – Game Center Blue Edition: The most extensive edition that includes all the content of the Arcade Cabinet Blue Edition plus the other two available optional EGRET II mini controllers and even more awesome physical collectibles.
Three different controller options are available for the Taito Egret II Mini, available separately.
- Egret II Mini – Control Pad: modern controller design
- Egret II Mini – Control Panel: inspired by the typical arcade layout, with six buttons and eight or four directional joystick
- Egret II Mini – Paddle and Trackball Game Expansion Set: a special controller inspired by classic arcade inputs. This also features 10 additional Taito classics on SD card
To summarize, here’s a fetaure round-up of the Taito Egret II Mini:
- A total of 40 pre-installed games, including true arcade classics
- 5-inch 4:3 rotating monitor (1024×768 resolution) for horizontal and vertical alignment and an optimal adaptation to the selected game
- 6-button arcade layout and joystick that is individually adjustable for each game – easily switch from 8 directions to 4 directions
- HDMI output to also play the games on TV
- Two USB Type-A controller ports for the additional, optional EGRET II mini controllers (that are sold separately)
- SD card slot to add even more games
- Own integrated sound through stereo speakers
- Special in-game features like: Save states, adjustable lives and rapid-fire
Meanwhile, the following games have been confirmed:
- Space Invaders
- Lunar Rescue
- Steel Worker
- Lupin the Third
- Marine Date
- Pirate Pete
- Strike Bowling
- Adventure Canoe
- Birdie King
- Elevator action
- Chack’n Pop
- Outer Zone
- The FairyLand Story
- The Legend of Kage
- Halley’s Comet
- Bubble Bobble
- Kiki Kaikai
- Scramble Formation (Tokio)
- Rastan Saga (Rastan)
- KyuKyoku Tiger (Twin Cobra)
- Arkanoid: Revenge of DoH
- Plump Pop
- Rainbow Islands Extra
- The New Zealand Story
- TATSUJIN (Truxton)
- Violence Fight
- Mizubaku Adventure (Liquid Kids)
- Gun Frontier (Gun & Frontier)
- Hat Trick Hero (Football Champ)
- The Ninja Kids
- Metal Black
(This list includes titles on the Egret II Mini – Paddle and Trackball Game Expansion Set SD card).
To pre-order the Taito Egret II MIni, visit Gamesrocket to get yours when shipping starts on 3 June. For Strictly Limited Games special editions (Arcade Cabinet Blue Edition and Game Center Blue Edition) order via their website for shipping one week later on 10 June.
Gaming since 1984, retro gaming since 2004. Contributes to Linux Format magazine and MakeUseOf.com.